Category Archives: Community

My Happy Place

Beth Holmes, T. Williams Realty

Photo by John Curry

Do you like beer? Yeah, me too. That’s why after a day at the office or after a glorious, weekend hike on one of Orcas Island’s many trails, I like to grab mug #097 off the shelf and belly up to the counter at the Island Hoppin’ Brewery taproom. Talk about a place where everybody knows your name; 33 Hope Lane is the place, indeed. The staff is super friendly; always warm and inviting. And guess what? They’re open year round, everyday!

Orcas Island

Hand thrown mugs made on Orcas.

Stop by Tuesday nights for Ping-Pong tournaments or Thursday nights for Mug Club drawing and a chance to win some cold, hard cash! No time to sit down and enjoy a beer? No problem, just grab a growler to go. Easy as pie! The tasting room is kid-friendly, so you can enjoy one of several amazing brews while you play Jenga with your Izze-guzzling, pretzel and peanut devouring rug rat. Right here on Orcas Island, ahhh the luxury.

Look, there's the little, orange car!

Look, there’s the little, orange car!

If you see a bright orange car parked outside, and chances are you will—that’s me! So c’mon in and enjoy Nate, Becca and Jim’s Elwha Rock I.P.A. or one of their other delicious beers with me. Reason #129.5 to love living on beautiful Orcas Island!

Here are another 18 reasons to love living on beautiful Orcas Island. From time to time, each of these local establishments offers Island Hoppin’ Brewery’s beer on tap.

BarnacleDeer Harbor InnDoe Bay CaféLower TavernMadrona Bar and Grill, Mijita’sNew Leaf CaféOrcas HotelRosario, Roses, Inn at Ship BayWestsound CaféWest Beach ResortPortofino’sRandom HowseWhite Horse Pub and The Island Skillet

Brewmaster Nate creating the goodness.

Brewmaster Nate creating the goodness.

Beer selection currently on tap is listed on the board. I'll take a #1, thanks!

Beer selection currently on tap is listed on the board. I’ll take a #1, thanks!

If after visiting Island Hoppin’ Brewery you have found beer bliss and like me, you simply cannot go another minute without living nearby, give us a call at T. Williams Realty and we’ll get you squared away!

Cheers!

Comments Off on My Happy Place

Filed under Adventure, Community

Shake Down Voyage: Summer’s First Night on the Blue Pearl

By Teri Williams

Friday is spent outfitting our sailboat with fresh bedding, rugs, dishes and other items for the new season. I call it a season only due to the lack of time on the boat through fall and winter. No matter rain, sleet or snow, we usually have time each month. This past year we were required to do a vessel survey and the boat was in need of many upgrades and fixes. No problem if your first mate is McGuiver! Just need TIME.

teri williams on the blue pearl

Awaiting guests on the Blue Pearl.

Jay re-wired, re-plumbed and re-worked everything in getting ready for the survey. Our sailboat passed with only a few things put on the to-do list. The survey did more than get us outfitted – it required the boat to have a name. On April 20, as Jay and I were soaking in the hot tub, contemplating life, the boat came up. I am a huge fan of Johnny Depp and the Black Pearl adventures. Hmmm…female pirate…blue hull. Suddenly the name “Blue Pearl” came up and was adopted. This meant a christening was to take place.

A Few Mates

all-aboard

All aboard for the christening!

My plan was to stay on the boat at the dock in Bay Head Marina on Friday night. This gave us a chance to invite a few mates aboard. Beth Baker (Sew Like the Wind) came to admire her work with the installation of my new upholstery – all new pads and covers throughout the boat. Mike Powell (Cruising Concepts) came aboard to review cupboards. Permit Resources and Cruising Concepts have done some horse-trading and the Blue Pearl needed some teak work to accommodate the needs of the galley cook.

You will read my comment “we could be anywhere, and not far from home” many times through out my musings about life on the water. After champagne and discussions about changes to be made on the boat, we headed to Octavia’s Bistro in the Orcas Hotel. Friday night is Pub Night, includes tasty specials, local live music, a fine Makers Mark Manhattan cocktail, and toe tapping Orcas fun! Octavia’s tequila clams are the best in the County.

octavias

Ready to walk back to the marina from Octavia’s on a summer eve.

It was a fine early summer evening to walk back to the boat and nestle in for the night. With bags everywhere and plenty of plans for the next day of organizing, we found the coffee pot and propane for the morning and settled down into our new bed. Awwwww the life of a pirate…

5 Comments

Filed under Adventure, Boating, Community

Community Spirit an Eternal Spring on Orcas Island

Sandi FrielBy Sandi Friel

Although today is the official start of Spring, on Orcas Island we’ve been basking in the new season for a few weeks now. Locals are downright giddy with the longer sunny days, birdsongs fill the air and trees are bursting with buds and new life. I’m reminded how no matter what the season, the spirit of Orcas feels like it’s in a state of Eternal Spring — birthing new ideas and ventures, growing a vibrant and healthy community, evolving and inspiring, especially in the face of tragedy or setbacks. Here are a few recent examples that come to mind.

Orcas Island Food Co-opOrcas Island Food Co-op
This is one of the most exciting changes on Orcas, and it’s coming to fruition in a few weeks. Sprouting up at the location of the former Homegrown Market which closed its doors in 2013, the Orcas Island Food Co-op is a member-owned entity focused on providing local and organically grown food to islanders. It will also foster education about local agriculture and provide a strong link between farmers and the community. Already 500 members strong, the Co-op has assembled a great team at the helm, and with the help of numerous volunteers, doors will be opening soon. Kudos to all those making this a reality!

Craic'rs playing at Random Howse

Local Irish band the Craic’rs playing at Random Howse earlier this week for St. Paddy’s Day

Random Howse
Random Howse was conceived last fall by Clyde and April Duke after they purchased an underutilized building in Eastsound. The building, complete with a stage and interior balcony, had been home to a series of restaurant ventures. Now, thanks to the Dukes, Random Howse is filling the stage with local talent — from musicians to comedy acts — and serving it up with top-notch food. It’s a fun casual gathering spot that’s enhanced life on Orcas. 

Score! Nifty Thrifty
In early 2013, we lost the island’s popular re-use center — the Exchange — in an accidental fire. Plans are underway to rebuild it, but in the meantime two islanders sprung into action and opened Score! Nifty Thrifty in June. Filling a much needed void, owners Susan Malins and Tina Roye say that once they start turning a profit, they’ll donate 25 percent of proceeds towards local nonprofits. Their mission is “community sharing” and they plan to keep Score! available to islanders until the Exhange reopens. Thank you Susan and Tina for your community spirit and filling this need!

Breakfast at Cafe Olga

Hearty breakfast at Café Olga – just as delicious in Eastsound!

The Artworks and Café Olga
While we don’t want to be known as the island of fires, we had more than one last year. In July a suspicious fire ravaged the historic building in Olga which houses the Artworks (one of the oldest artist cooperatives in the U.S.), James Hardman Gallery and Café Olga. This happened at the height of tourist season, devastating the artists, café workers and owners. In nature, fire breeds new life, and it seems to have the same effect on the Orcas community. Less than a month after the fire and with a huge volunteer effort, the Artworks and James Hardman Gallery re-opened in a temporary location in Eastsound. Later in the fall, Café Olga reopened in a temporary Eastsound location. Public donations and support have poured in to help the Olga Strawberry Council renovate and reopen the historic building in Olga. It’s just not possible to dampen the Orcas spirit.

Poetry reading at The Garret in Eastsound

Poetry reading by Suzanne Heyd at “The Garret”, a pop-up gallery in Eastsound

Pop-Ups
Like spring bulbs that pop up to bring color to a small area, pop-up businesses and ventures bring an unused building to life for a short time. There were three pop-ups in Eastound last year, and I visited all of them. Locals Andrew and Emily Youngren opened Pop-up Print Shop for the summer summer – a very cool T-shirt store with unique local designs and ability to print while you wait.  The Garret was a pop-up gallery for one weekend during Art Walk, with poetry readings, live poetry compositions and art by Susan Slapin. Orcas Island Originals was a pop up gift shop for the holidays in the Shearwater Kayaks shop, during the non-kayak season. I think the pop-up is a neat synergistic concept and here to stay.

Finally, fittingly, March 20th is now also designated as the International Day of Happiness. I think this recent video captures the spirit of eternal spring on Orcas Island – playful and vibrant at all ages. Enjoy!

Looking to enjoy the simple life on beautiful Orcas Island?
Contact T Williams Realty – we’ll help you find your way home.

3 Comments

Filed under Community

Life on Orcas is Going to the Birds

birds of orcas island

By Teri Williams

Life on Orcas is going to the birds!

Don’t believe me? Come see for yourself on April 10 – April 12.

teri williamsOn Thursday, April 10, Orcas kicks off the first annual Orcas Island Bird & Wildlife Festival with a dinner at Rosario Resort’s Beach House. Featured speaker will be Thor Hanson, conservation biologist and author of the book Feathers. Hanson  lives in the San Juans and will share his knowledge of all things wild on Orcas Island. There will be a Silent Auction to add to the fun, and help secure funding for future festivals.

The perfect place to stay while experiencing the festival is at Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast. Otters Pond, renowned as a prime birding spot, is home to hundreds of bird species and certified by the National Wildlife Federation as a Wildlife Habitat. At the breakfast table, you will enjoy a front row seat to flurry and feathers and as a variety of birds dine in the feeders just outside. Innkeepers, Carl and Sue Silvernail, provide more than a ton of bird seed each year to attract some of the Northwest’s most colorful flying wildlife.

otters pond prime birding spot

Enjoy a front-row seat to flurry and feathers at Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast.

Sue reports that just this week, they are seeing Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Dark-eyed Juncos, House and Purple Finches, Red-Breasted Nuthatches, Spotted Towhees, Crossbills, American Robins, Sharp-shinned Hawks, American Bald Eagles, Anna Hummingbirds and Red-winged Blackbirds. On the pond they are seeing Hooded Mergansers, Ringed Neck Ducks, Pied Billed Grebes and Mallards.  She says they  are watching for Rufus Hummingbirds, White-crowned and Golden Sparrows and Pine Siskins.

Sponsored by the Orcas Island Chamber of Commerce, BirdFest will offer activities sure to please all who enjoy the birds and wildlife of the Pacific Northwest. The still-unfolding line-up of walks, talks, workshops and activities are ideal for all ages and experience levels. Stay tuned for more information and events to be announced! Meanwhile, here are some helpful links to help you plan for BirdFest.

Birds of Orcas Island

Make a reservation at Otters Pond Bed and Breakfast

And if you want to stay forever, find out more about Otters Pond B&B for sale.

Orcas Island Chamber of Commerce

Rosario Resort & Spa

San Juan Islands Visitors Bureau

1 Comment

Filed under Community, Nature

Christmas on Orcas: A Full Heart

By Teri Williams

Here’s what this Orcas Island grandma and her grandson did on Christmas vacation:

coffelt farm collage

Coffelt Farm
Enjoy cookies from Sydney Coffelt and a peek at her pie shelf, nuts, and other porch memorabilia. See the two momma sows, and other pigs (all named pork chop). Learn about the balance of feed vs number of pigs. Learn about feeding baby cows with a bottle of momma’s milk. Check out the chicken pen. Learn about the farm stand and the importance of farms for future community (my grandson).

cascade lake

Moran State Park
Have lunch in the covered picnic area. Walk along the trails surrounded by huge cedars and cross the wooden bridge that spans over the creek and runs into Cascade Lake. See how far a cedar bow will float down the creek. Walk out onto the floating fishing dock hunkered below the fog, and spot the sun above it all. Fish with a switch found along the shoreline.

Eastsound
Hit Island Market for ice cream!! Walk to the post office and look at all the gardens in Eastsound.

driftwood ranch

Driftwood Ranch
Cruise the barnyard. Say howdy to Cowboy Bob, watch him tow a broken down tractor with a tractor that runs (Cowboy Bob has 3!!) Feed pancakes to the chickens. Feed green grass to Snowflake, the miniature pony. Find two bulls in the outdoor pen. Watch a round-up with cowboys and cowgirls saddled up and sporting Stetson hats.

cut christmas treeCrow Valley
Get Grandpa to ask Carol Clark for permission to hike in across her property and cut down a Christmas tree. Find her old barn and look for spider webs. Inspect the old growth stumps for bird nests. Wonder about the loggers who carved the spring-board notches along the sides. Learn about standing old growth trees with charred, thick, black bark are signs of a history.

This grandma’s heart is full after sharing my Orcas with grandson and his family.

4 Comments

Stayin’ Alive on Orcas Island with Top Emergency Medical Care

Sandi Friel

Posted by Sandi

Recently I took a community CPR Class offered by Orcas Fire and Rescue. It wasn’t at all what I expected – there was no mouth-to-mouth! We were taught the new hands-only technique of chest compressions to the tune of the Bee Gees “Stayin’ Alive.” Apparently not only the theme of the song is appropriate, but the beat is just the right speed for compressions and easy to conjure up in the throes of an emergency.

CPR class on Orcas Island

Free CPR class held recently at the Deer Harbor Community Club.

The presentation revealed that cardiac arrest is most likely to happen at home and the first moments of response are critical. Chances of survival decrease 5 -10 percent every minute without CPR. Ideally CPR should be administered within 4 minutes.

Northwest on Orcas Island

Airlift Northwest, a cost effective provider of medical airlift service, visits a recent Saturday Farmers Market on Orcas.

What really got my attention is how our area ranks in emergency medical care. I was pleasantly surprised to learn San Juan County is one of the highest ranking rural counties for out-of-hospital cardiac survivability, i.e. able to leave the hospital with normal function. According to the CDC, nationally only seven percent of people who experience out-of-hospital cardiac arrests (OHCA) survive. But in San Juan County, the survival rate is closer to 50%. And in 2012, 80% of patients with OHCA were stabilized and delivered to the hospital with their hearts pumping on their own.

This is impressive, especially considering we’re an isolated island community. So how do we do it?

I spoke with OIFR Assistant Chief Mik Preysz, and he gives much of the credit to San Juan County Medical Program Director Dr. Michael Sullivan for keeping our first responders equipped with cutting edge equipment, extensive training and community outreach programs, such as CPR classes. Dr. Sullivan’s resume is a dream sheet of emergency medicine experience; we are lucky to have him in our community heading our medical program.

Another positive statistic is emergency response times. In 2012 there were 783 alarm calls on Orcas Island with an overall average response time of 8 minutes, 17 seconds. The average response time for Eastsound Station 21 was 6 minutes, 14 seconds. This compares favorably to Seattle, with a model EMS response time of 8 minutes or less for 90% of calls. Seattle is tops among cities worldwide for response times and emergency medical care, and Orcas and San Juan County are working to deliver a similar standard of care for our island residents.

With budget constraints and a paid OIFR staff of twelve (including eight emergency responders), this level of care in our rural environment is only possible through an amazing network of 85 volunteers (including 62 first responders).  Still, we should all do our part and learn CPR. Let’s keep Orcas Stayin’ Alive!

Looking to enjoy the simple life on beautiful Orcas Island?
Contact T Williams Realty – we’ll help you find your way home.

2 Comments

Filed under Community

It Takes an Island to be a Senior

Teri WilliamsBy Teri Williams

Having the opportunity to be the listing agent and property manager for Lahari home in Deer Harbor was a huge honor for me, chalked up yet another successful sale, and created a relationship that moved me ahead on another adventure.

The Lahari Board wanted to expand its outreach into the community by creating programs that fit the life style of our community members who have had many birthdays behind them and few in front of them, our seniors. They asked me to join the board and I soon found a passion for our Safe Home Program.

LahariThe Safe Home Program supports seniors who wish to remain in their homes by evaluating the health and safety aspects of the home, and following up with recommendations for improvements. Lahari is well-funded and committed to financial support as part of the program. We have a handful of contractors and tradesmen who volunteer their skills for some of these improvements.

In the past, Lahari’s focus was mainly hospice care, however, many of our community seniors (and even not-so-senior) wish to remain in their homes instead of moving to a care facility. Something in the blood when you live on an island! I believe we have a pioneer spirit and cast iron constitutions supporting our independent attitudes.

The Safe Home Program is set up to check for hazardous situations, but I am finding it offers much more by giving and receiving emotional support as well. Many of the seniors are lonesome, scared, and unsure of what comes next. Just knowing someone cares and will listen seems to be one of the many benefits of the program, for both the property owner as well as for the evaluator. I am finding it hard not to adopt each and every senior I meet!

I don’t know about you, but I had plans of kicking and screaming on the trail to elder care outside of my home. Now I know there is light near the end of this ride called life, and a caring heart and patient ear to listen to my tales.

If you know of someone who can benefit from this program, give me a call or contact Lahari directly by going to the website www.laharionorcas.org.

Cheers to the years ahead!

2 Comments

Filed under Community

A Few Fast Facts About OPALCO’s Broadband Initiative

You may have noticed that Orcas Power and Light Company has released its plan to deliver broadband and phone services to 90 percent of San Juan County. This is exciting and I applaud OPALCO for its efforts to bring San Juan County into the 21st Century.

OPALCO is studying how greater access to broadband (high-speed internet) would benefit members. Here are a few fast facts:

OPALCO Broadband Coverage Map

This map is a preliminary snap-shot of potential broadband coverage based on a radio frequency study. Field studies are underway to test and confirm coverage, determine pole locations and actual system design.

#1: OPALCO’s proposal is to build a fiber and wireless infrastructure to bring connectivity for our electrical system, public safety, broadband and the potential of better cell phone coverage.

#2: For a total of $90 per month – about what you’re paying now to CenturyLink – you would get:

• Reliable fast internet (10M minimum rural, 50M+ in towns) with capability for the future
  • Unlimited use long distance national phone using your current phone number and phone
  • Wifi access in population centers, on the interisland ferries and at ferry landings

#3: The cost to build this infrastructure is $34 million – to be paid for through a low-interest loan with USDA Rural Utility Service. All coop members (each household or business) will be asked to pay $15/month (included in the $90/month total) to support the infrastructure capital expense. The remaining $75/month is a subscriber fee charged to those who want broadband services.

#4: To make the project work financially, at least half of OPALCO’s members must pre-subscribe for broadband services with a $90 refundable deposit. There will be a form on the  OPALCO website for members to indicate their support of (or their opposition to)  the project. OPALCO has  begun a lengthy member engagement effort to explain the plan, hear from members and measure their commitment to the project.

#5: For members who would struggle to pay the additional $15 cooperative infrastructure fee, OPALCO is creating a PAL Program – a Shared Infrastructure fund. In addition, members will be given a chance to opt out of the $15 fee if they respectfully refuse. There will be a true-up policy if those members later want to opt back in.

#6: This infrastructure is a long-term investment in the future health and sustainability of our communities. The system is a solution for key quality of life issues including public safety, education, electric system upgrades, telemedicine and economic development.

To learn more, click here: OPALCO Broadband Initiative.

1 Comment

Filed under Community

Prune Alley Gets a Facelift!

It all started when Rachel Dietzman, County Engineer, indicated the Public Works Department will not be paving Prune Alley (which really needs it) until the County can design and install some pedestrian features.

Rachel attended an Eastsound Planning Review Committee (EPRC) meeting to discuss how EPRC could help facilitate working with the community and develop a plan. As an EPRC member, I watched the events unfold.

prune alley

Prune Alley – ready for a facelift!

Fred Klein, EPRC member, desired to take a whack at it and did a fantastic job, using the Streetscape Plan for Eastsound as a base. Fred’s proposed changes and additions encompassed all issues Public Works has with Prune Alley. Public Works wholeheartedly endorsed Fred’s plan and will use it for the Prune Alley Complete Streets design.

Grant Application

Public Works applied for some $600k to construct a “complete street” including share rows (bicycle and auto shared lanes like they have in Seattle). If Public Works is successful obtaining the grant, the County will be required to complete the design in 2013.

However, if Public Works is unsuccessful in obtaining the construction grant, they will still use Fred’s design to install some pedestrian features with a goal to fully implement the entire plan over the course of a few years.

EPRC’s goal was to create a design which will transform the streetscape of Prune Alley from its current state of being an undifferentiated-50-foot-wide-swath-of-chip-seal-and-gravel into the intimate, pedestrian-friendly, varied streetscape with curbs, sidewalks, and landscaping features exemplified by Main Street and North Beach Road.

Cooperative Community Spirit

EPRC met with property owners to determine how their concerns can be met using the optimal elements of the streetscape standards in the Eastsound Village Plan; these include several options for on-street parking (or no parking), a big concern for businesses. A cooperative community spirit resulted in a plan which is 100% supported by the landowners.

Next, EPRC will take the Prune Alley plan to the utility service providers later this month.

Come to one of our meetings – EPRC meets the first Thursday of each month at the Eastsound Fire Hall. Meetings are open to the public.

1 Comment

Filed under Community

Feathered Friends have Flocks of Fans on Orcas Island

Posted by Sandi

And I’m not talking about Seahawks fans – although there are plenty of those too.

Orcas Island – and the rest of the San Juan Islands – is home to many bird enthusiasts. There are guided bird walks, Frank Richardson Wildfowl Preserve, and of course we’re a migratory stop on the Pacific Flyway. But I recently found another bird-loving contingent here.

Charlie the African Grey Parrot on Orcas Island

Charlie

About 10 days before Christmas, my neighbor passed away leaving behind ‘Charlie,’ her beloved thirty-something Congo African Grey Parrot. I volunteered to find Charlie a new forever home.

First stop was the Orcas Animal Protection Society  where I was given names of several local parrot owners/experts to contact. All of these ladies gave me excellent info on what criteria to look for in Charlie’s new home. One offered to be foster mom until we found the perfect landing place.

Next I joined the Orcas Island Pets group on Facebook. This interactive page is where you can ask for advice, trade pet supplies, post lost and found pets, and rehome  or adopt a pet.

Charlie the Parrot in his new home on Orcas Island

Charlie gets a new home for Christmas

The grand slam, though, came when I posted on two online Yahoo groups: “Deer Harbor Community Bulletin Board”  and “Westsound Neighbor-to-Neighbor”. I was flooded with emails, phone calls and offers to help. That’s when I found the perfect home for Charlie: Ed and Amy Masters.

Ed and Amy and their two teenage sons live on a 10-acre farm near Westsound. They own Orcas Island Shuttle (our local rental car company) and work from home, so Charlie will have constant attention and activity. Amy has experience with parrots and a close friend that raises parrots. She always wanted an African Grey. They’re prepared to provide a loving home to Charlie for the next 30+ years.

Charlie the Parrot on Orcas Island

Charlie flies to his new mom during Christmas dinner

We delivered Charlie a few days before Christmas to their beautiful 3-story A-frame home, overlooking a large pond with their pet ducks and geese. They also have horses and chickens.

Charlie has now integrated well into the family and they all LOVE him! Each day he responds with revealing more of his intuitive personality and extensive vocabulary. On Christmas Eve, they allowed him to perch outside his cage for the first time, and during dinner he flew to Amy and perched on her arm for the duration of the family meal.

I’m so thrilled at the happy ending to this story. And it was made possible through the amazing community network of caring people we have here on Orcas Island. Thanks Orcas!

Looking to enjoy the simple life on beautiful Orcas Island?
Contact T Williams Realty  – we’ll help you find your way home.

3 Comments